Lookjed Digest IV:34

Shalom Berger <[log in to unmask]>

lookjed list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 May 2002 05:19:09 +0300

TEXT/PLAIN

Topics in this issue:

I. Block Scheduling and Multiple Intelligences curriculum (Goldstein)
II. Queries:
     1. School vandalism and mischief (Dear)
     2. Popular culture and Halacha (Landesman)
     3. Teaching Shimshon (Schochet)
     4. Teaching Sefer Iyov (Feldman)
III. Grants and foundations (Laufman)
IV. Teaching about abuse in Day Schools

I. Block Scheduling and Multiple Intelligences curriculum

Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 04:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Semadar Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Block Scheduling and Multiple Intelligences curriculum

Dear Lookstein Friends,

After enjoying participating in the Vogel Conference last week, I wanted
to share with the group a Jewish Junior High School Curriculum I wrote.
My sample curriculum contains the framework of Block Scheduling and
Multiple Intelligences that Dr. Vogel discussed with educational
expertise. Working with Sefer Shmot, I suggest courses using flexible
scheduling, group work, along with an integrated curriculum (where
students study one theme in ALL subjects, including Judaic ones). For
example, students are introduced to mentions of Ancient Egypt in the
Talmud, Bible, Haggadah and incorporate them into their secular studies
(i.e. science, Language Arts, math, art and sports) in helping them
understand more closely the daily lives of the Hebrew slaves in Egypt.
Students are given much longer time frames with which to cover their
curriculum, as well as motivated with group projects and presentations.

I would like to share the curriculum with the group participants and
discuss responses to it.

The project is now available on the Lookstein Center website at
http://www.lookstein.org/resources/jewishmultipleintelligence.pdf

Semadar Goldstein

II. Queries: