Lookjed Digest IV:31

Shalom Berger <[log in to unmask]>

lookjed list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 May 2002 23:08:53 +0300

Hag Sameach,
Shalom

I. Queries

Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 03:37:47 -0400
From: Zvi Grumet <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Bechina Yerushalmit

Shalom to all,

The Bechina Yerushalmit is a course of study designed by the Jewish Agency
and Hebrew University, covering areas of Mishna, Tanakh, Medieval Hebrew
poetry, Modern Hebrew literature, Medieval Jewish thought. The course
requires a prior working knowledge of Ivrit and involves a substantive
amount of individual reading of primary texts in Ivrit. Upon successful
completion of the course and passing the exam, Hebrew University awards a
certificate, which many universities recognize and give credits (usually
4-6 credits, but sometimes as many as 8 or 10, depending on the college).
The course has been running for more than fifty years, and there are
hundreds of students from around the world who participate in the course
annually.

The directors of the Bechina Yerushalmit are interested in developing
interactive on-line classes to help students prepare for the exam, and are
exploring a number of models of implementation. One model would provide
supplementary classes to schools currently teaching the course. A second
would offer distinct units of instruction from which students/schools
could select, depending on their individual needs. A third would provide a
complete course, particularly directed toward schools who do not have the
resources or the demand to create their own course or to individual
students who have no access to such a course in their local communities.
There is some overlap between the models, but they are distinct enough to
warrant separate design. (Participation in the course requires no special
hardware - a computer with a headset and a standard Internet connection.)

Bechina Yerushalmit is interested in hearing from you to maximize the
effectiveness of the offering. If you are a school currently teaching the
syllabus, what needs can the on-line course fill? If you do not currently
offer the exam, would you be interested in exploring ways to offer it to
students via the on-line course? Do you know individual students who would
be interested in pursuing this? Your feedback will help determine the
shape of this new project. I'd appreciate hearing your feedback - please
send it to me offline at [log in to unmask]

Zvi Grumet
20 Hamaapilim
Jerusalem, Israel
phone/fax 02.561.7053