Lookjed Announcements 144

Shalom Berger <[log in to unmask]>

lookjed list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 May 2002 18:24:14 +0300

TEXT/PLAIN

Announcements in this issue:

1. The Second On-Line Zionist Congress
2. Jewish Educators' Seminar at Yad Vashem - Full Scholarship
3. Project Areivim
4. Call for Papers - JOFA
5. Recent postings at JewishJobFinder.com

Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 05:48:06 +0200
From: Chaim Feder <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Second On-Line Zionist Congress

The 34th World Zionist Congress opens in Jerusalem on 17 June 2002. It
will provide the major opportunity for Zionists the world over to discuss
issues challenging the Jewish people today and to make policy. Congress2:
The Second On-Line Zionist Congress opens now. It is an opportunity for
Jews around the world to participate in discussions of these issues and
others, and in so doing, to have an impact of the policy decisions of the
Congress in Jerusalem. The issues cover the vast range of challenges that
are now absorbing thoughtful and involved Jews.

One might imagine that the dominant issue would be our collective
troubles. Israel is again at war, struggling not only for quiet on and
within its yet ill-defined borders but also for the recognition that its
effort is at the cutting edge of a much wider human effort: confronting
hatreds deliberately transmitted and expressed with ruthless violence.

This is not only Israel's war. Enemies have shown that it is the Jewish
people that is targeted, whether in France or in Argentina, in Turkey or
in Tunisia. The last time Jews were in this position, it had no political
will or voice. Today, we have not only a sovereign State but also great
influence in North America and in Europe. Indeed, our ability to form a
credible international voice - even when debating, particularly when
debating - gives us even greater power.

However, while at war, we are also at peace. European Jewry has emerged
from the ashes of Shoah and is re-building itself. North American Jewry
has achieved what European Jewry sought before World War I, emancipation.
There are more Jews around the world studying classic texts in Yeshivoth
and Universities than ever before; and many are moving into Jewish
leadership positions around the world. More and more Jews are helping to
move industry, science, technology, communications, human rights, high and
low cultural forms in new directions. There is much reason to be proud and
excited of our place in civilization.

Thus, while we discuss problems, we will also discuss how to go from
strength to strength: how can we better educate future generations of
Jews; how can we use communication technologies to bring us together; what
are those international issues in which Jewish experience can be of
benefit; what should our relationship be with other cultures, religions
and civilizations. How do we take what we've achieved to make ourselves
better Jews and the world a better world.

This is the goal of Congress2: listening to one another, taking decisions
together and forging ahead together.

If we will it, it is no dream.

To see the list of discussion forums, go to www.jewish-world.org.il and
then click on The Second On-Line Zionist Congress. Look at the list for a
Jewish world of discussion groups.

Chaim Feder

Jewish Educators' Seminar at Yad Vashem - Full Scholarship

Full Scholarship for Jewish Educators in Jewish Schools at Yad Vashem on
teaching the Holocaust and Anti-Semitism. All costs covered including
flights (economy class), tuition, field trips, materials, local
transportation and guiding, hotel accommodation (double occupancy and
breakfast).

Dates: July 21 - August 7, 2002

Venue: International School for Holocaust Studies, Yad Vashem, Jerusalem

Since 1981 more than 2,300 educators from all over the world have
completed seminars at the International School for Holocaust Studies at
Yad Vashem. This seminar will include academic lectures by leading
scholars and educational experts from Yad Vashem and Israeli universities
in order to provide the participants with historical knowledge in the
field of the Holocaust. Special attention will be given to widening the
participants' knowledge on pre-Holocaust Jewry and Jewish responses during
Nazi occupation. The program will focus on forms of modern anti-Semitism;
uses of survivor testimony; the human story; interdisciplinary approaches;
age appropriate methodology; the impact of the Holocaust on the Jewish
world and its effects on Western civilization.

Special workshops and discussion groups will enable the participants to
explore educational issues, pedagogical theories and practical
applications in Jewish educational frameworks. Participants will also be
able to utilize a wide range of materials located in the Yad Vashem
archives, library, Hall of Names and the Pedagogical Resource Center.

Participants will be expected upon their return to their respective
communities to implement a number of Holocaust education projects, such as
co-coordinating communal ceremonies, teacher-training workshops, etc. They
must also inform Yad Vashem of their endeavors.

Candidate participants will be chosen from Jewish communities in the USA,
Canada, South Africa, Great Britain, Australia, and South America. The
seminar is open to a maximum of 30 participants.

For further enquiries please e-mail Kathryn Berman at the International
School for Holocaust Studies, Yad Vashem immediately at

or at  972-2-6443638/9 (phone) or fax 972-2-6443640

Project Areivim, an innovative program based in Jerusalem, sends young,
dedicated Israeli volunteers to work in small Jewish communities around
the world.  The volunteers, called "areivim,"  remain in the community for
a minimum of one year, and a maximum of two, initiating a variety of
cultural, educational and social activities.  The "areivim" also work with
existing organizations and institutions in the community in an effort to
attract more interest and affiliation.

WHAT IS THE PROJECT'S OBJECTIVE?
Based on the Talmudic concept "All Jews Are Responsible For One Another,"
Project Areivim stresses recognition of each Jew's responsibility for the
continuation of the Jewish community and family. The programs prepared by
the "areivim" are designed to increase Jewish awareness, knowledge and
pride, to bridge the gap between Jews of different backgrounds, and to
promote an understanding of Israel and its ideals.  The program is rooted
in its belief that positive identification can help stem assimilation and
guarantee the continuance of the Jewish community.

WOULD YOUR COMMUNITY BENEFIT FROM AN AREV?
If your community is yearning to enhance its connection to its Jewish
heritage and to Am Yisrael, Project Areivim might be the answer.  The
Project works with Jewish communities that lack the human, educational or
communal resources needed to strengthen the Jewish community.  A community
is selected based on its stated needs and its commitment to hosting the
arev throughout his/her year, as well as the Project's ability to
successfully meet the needs of the community.  Project Areivim serves
small communities all over the world, and is committed to finding the
appropriate match for each community.

WHO ARE THE AREIVIM?
Project Areivim's candidates stem from various streams of Israeli society,
each individual differing in his/her academic and professional background,
yet sharing a strong commitment to the Jewish People and knowledge of
Jewish history, Judaism and Zionism.  An "arev/a" is selected on the basis
of proven commitment to Jewish education, the ability to reach out and
involve the unaffiliated, and willingness to work with all people.  The
candidates are handpicked through a comprehensive screening process.
During this screening process, we make the match between the specific
needs of the community, and the skills of the "arev/a."

WHEN DOES THIS ALL HAPPEN?
Jan-Mar: Recruitment of candidates and communities
Apr-Jun: Continuous recruitment and screening of candidates
Jul-Aug: Finalizing community contracts; extensive candidate training program
Sep-Oct (around High Holidays): Areivim join their communities
Nov-Dec: Supervision of the absorption of areivim into the communities;
year-round supervision

HOW CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PROJECT?
PROJECT AREIVIM                                Tel:  972-2-673-4410
P.O. Box 7885, Jerusalem, Israel               Fax: 972-2-672-4696
Email:  [log in to unmask]               Website:  www.netvision.il/php/areivim